There are people who play a “Shell Game” with Christians or those trying to find out more about the Christian faith. They use Faulty Logic to divert their focus from Biblical Proof and eyewitness accounts that Christ is the Son of God and make a faulty point to confuse them. They might say things such as:

The Bible says Jesus Christ Is the Son of God, but the Bible has inconsistencies, which they call lies.

This is a False Analogy, because the inconsistencies in the Bible are generally related to wording and writing style which doesn't invalidate the truthfulness of the Bible or that Jesus Christ is the Son of God!. On top of that, these people try to make Christians feel foolish for ever believing the Bible or that Jesus Christ Is the Son of God. Don’t fall prey to their Shell Game!"

Do Inconsistencies about the First Communion Disprove that Jesus Is the Son of God?

There are those who would try to confuse Christians or those who are contemplating the Christian faith. They try to make a case trying to prove that Jesus isn’t the Son of God, because there are inconsistencies in the Bible, primarily in the wording. My plan is to use the New King James Version (KKJV) of the Bible to research any inconsistencies related to The First Communion.  Do they disprove that Jesus gave His Disciples The First Communion, and if so, are they significant enough to disprove that Jesus Is God’s Son? Since the Bible will often refer to he and him within the same sentence, I will note who is being referred to in the Bible, if it isn’t clear.

First of all, I have to decide which inconsistencies exist. I have the portions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and 1 Corinthians that relate to The First Communion. I will put my  analysis and opinions in brackets for those who might refer to this on the Biblical Proof! Blog at https://BiblicalProof.blogspot.com/ and Do Biblical Inconsistencies Really Matter? at https://Biblicalinconsistencies.blogspot.com/ otherwise, I will preface my comments on the podcast.
 
Matthew 26:20-29 says: When evening had come, He sat down with the twelve. Now as they were eating, He said, Assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me. And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them began to say to Him, “Lord, is it I?” He answered and said, He who dipped his hand with Me in the dish will betray Me. “The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.” And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, Take, eat; this is My body.” Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink from it, all of you. “For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. “But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.” 

Mark 14:17-25 says: In the evening He came with the twelve, Now as they sat and ate, Jesus said, Assuredly, I say to you, one of you, who eats with Me will betray Me.” And they began to be sorrowful and to say to Him one by one, “Is it I?” And another said, “Is it I?” He answered and said to them, It is one of the twelve, who dips with Me in the dish. “The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born.” And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, Take, eat; this is My body.” Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to themThis is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. “Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.” 

Luke 22: 15-22 says: Then He said to them, With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; “for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this and divide it among yourselves; “for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” Likewise He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. “But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table. “And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed.

John 13:14-30 says: If then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also out to wash one another’s feet. “For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. “Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. “If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. “I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.’ [from Psalm 41:] Now I tell you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe that I am He. “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.” When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.” Then the disciples looked at one another, perplexed about whom He spoke. Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke. Then, leaning back on Jesus’ breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?” Jesus answered, It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it.” And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him [Judas]. Then Jesus said to him, What you do, do quickly.” But no one at the table knew for what reason He [Jesus] said that to him [Judas]. For some thought, because Judas had the money box, that Jesus had said to him, “Buy those things we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor. Having received the piece of bread, he [Judas] went out immediately. And it was night.

The Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 11:23-31 says: For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread: and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me. “ For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For He who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not  discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.”

[The First Communion passages in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and 1 Corinthians all refer to Jesus taking the bread first at The First Communion, but Gospel of Luke says, Then He [Jesus] took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this and divide it among yourselves; “for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” All three of these are similar with very little variation in wording, so I don’t think there is anything of significance to disprove that Jesus gave His disciples The First Communion or to disprove that Jesus Is the Son of God.]

[ Also, in the Gospel of John,  Jesus answers, It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it.” And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. In my opinion, after rereading these passages several times, I think that Jesus dipped the bread into the cup He used to share the fruit of the vine for The First Communion and gave that bread to Judas Iscariot, the one Jesus knew would betray Him. In that both the fruit of the vine and the bread were almost shared simultaneously, doesn’t seem to be significant enough of a inconsistency to disprove that Jesus gave His Disciples The First Communion, nor does it disprove that Jesus Is the Son of God.] 

What are some of the other inconsistencies in these passages?

In the Gospel of John, it says that Jesus had washed His disciples' feet. John 13:14-17 says: If then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also out to wash one another’s feet. “For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. “Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. “If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
[Although these details aren’t shared in Matthew, Mark, Luke and 1 Corinthians, doesn’t prove that it didn’t happen. In doing all this Biblical research, I find that some disciples tell the events in a basic way and others elaborate on many of the fine details, and sometimes leave out others. Regardless, this added information does not disprove that Jesus gave The First Communion to His Disciples nor does it disprove that Jesus Is the Son of God.]

Additionally, 1 Corinthians 11:26-31 says, For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For He who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not  discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 

[The previous passage was Paul was giving additional instruction to Christians to examine themselves before coming for communion, because some viewed communion as an opportunity to eat. In 1 Corinthians 11:22, Paul says, “What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to You? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.” I had included the passage from 1 Corinthians 11:23-31 even though it was recorded some years after Jesus’ death, Resurrection, and Ascension to Heaven, because it is additional proof about Jesus giving the First Communion to His disciples and that Jesus Is the Son of God.]

Are there other inconsistencies in these passages that are worth considering? 
The Gospels of Matthew and Mark say that before Jesus gave the disciple’s The First Communion, He shared that He would be betrayed. In the Gospels of Luke and John, it has Jesus giving the disciples The First Communion before He told them about His going to be betrayed. 

[I didn’t consider 1 Corinthians in this comparison of passages, because it was written by the Apostle Paul who was not at The First Communion. In my opinion after reading these passages many times, I feel there is no major inconsistency to disprove that Jesus gave His disciples The First Communion or anything anywhere close to disproving that Jesus Is the Son of God. In fact, it does quite the opposite! Who else but the Son of God would know in advance that He would be betrayed and by whom? Who else but the Son of God would give His life the ransom of many, knowing in advance how He would be questioned, challenged, humiliated, scourged, spat upon, crucified and buried to save us from our sins? I don’t know about you, but if I knew people were going to spit on me, it would have been a deal-breaker right away, but He went through all of this for us! John 15:12-13 says: This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.”]

[Don’t let people confuse you into disbelieving the Bible because there are some inconsistencies. Most aren’t significant and many have to do with the writing style of the person who recorded it, some with lots of detail, and some with basic facts. If Jesus, the Son of God, gave His life for us, we have to withstand all the arguments of those who try to confuse us into not believing the truth!]

Translate